There many people who are affected by teeth grinding at night and this is a kind of medical disorder which has to be treated. Knowing how to stop nightly teeth grinding can help you overcome the problem. In some rare cases, the disorder is caused by the poor alignment of teeth. Side effects of some medications can also cause this problem, especially if you are undergoing treatment for depression. In most people, teeth grinding occurs when they are asleep and it is necessary to seek treatment to prevent the problem from deteriorating. It can lead to dental health problems and also cause other chronic disorders.
Here are some tips on how to stop nightly teeth grinding:
- You must deal with anything that causes stress in your life. You can also ensure that you set aside enough time to work out – either in a fitness club or by just taking a walk. Yoga exercises and meditation are also effective in helping you alleviate stress and anxiety in your life. This will help you avoid clenching because you will no longer hold onto anger and frustration.
- You should not drink alcohol or caffeine in the evening to make sure that you sleep peacefully at night; these two substances will affect your sleep cycle and make you grind your teeth while you are asleep.
- You should visit a mental health counselor to help you deal with emotional issues which provoke anger in you. This is easy because you can also research online for tips to help you relieve tension and anger. Bio feed has been effective in helping people to stop this habit.
- Your dentist can also be helpful in guiding you on how to stop nightly teeth grinding. The dentist will examine your teeth properly and help you understand the cause of the problem. This ensures that you get the right treatment to help you stop the habit.
- You can try using an oral splint at night. If you do not have any structural dental problems, your dentist can make a splint which is fitted to prevent teeth grinding while you sleep at night. Most splints are made of acrylic and they fit on the edges of your teeth to prevent grinding.
- You can find mouth guards at I Love My Smile. You may have a problem in getting some which will fit you nicely and this makes night splints the best. You need something that will not become dislodged while you are asleep.
You have to allow your doctor confirm that teeth grinding affecting you are not caused by sleeping disorders. This means that if you grind your teeth because of a health condition like apnea, it has to be treated first. The above are ways to stop nightly teeth grinding. Make sure that any disorder affecting is treated before you can deal with teeth grinding which are usually a symptom of other health problems.